Friday 4 April 2008

Notes from 2007 contd...my first few experiences...

The First few Days in Finland!

How often have you felt so completely in a strange new place, with every thing you do is a new experience…

The whole experience of living on your own – in an apartment hotel (unlike in India, where I most often than not had Paati, the Apartment Watchman or chatty neighbors!)

There was also my first moment with Snow!

That most wondrous element of nature which to the ones who have never ventured out of tropical India, have only seen on the telly or the net.

So enamored was I, that I kept taking photos over and over again – till I saw them on the comp…and realized that most of them were beginning to look alike (Prashanth in snow; kids in the snow; building in the snow, bicycle in the snow :) )

Not to forget the Cooking – cutting onions, cooking the rice, making the Tadka!

We also visited IKEA – which was a fair distance from the main city of Helsinki. Trudging through a km of snow, through the dark afternoon did not quite prepare me for the experience that awaited me – IKEA has set up huuuggeee demo model houses – filled with things you can buy. And we had gone a week before Christmas – so the whole place was filled with Christmassy things – decorations etc. The place was all red, white, silvery and golden!

You can buy things for a fairly inexpensive price here – and you can buy almost anything to get your house going. In fact, the apartment I am currently staying at is an ‘IKEA House’ with pretty much everything from there.

See all pictures here

No comments: