Saturday 11 April 2009

The coming of Spring, Helsinki Apr '09

The Winter has all but gone away. Spring is starting to make Her way through. And I am just discovering the beauty of Vanhakaupunki ! After days of lethargy I found myself singing 'Life is a Highway, I wanna ride it all night long' hoarsely, loudly and completely out of tune. And I knew it was time to invite Spring and say bye to Winter.
I decided to get out and fetch my cycle Dhano Rani from Ruoholahti.
And on my way back - decided to take some pictures. :)

The River Vantaa has been frozen since the time I got here >> This picture was taken in Feb '09. >>

So, it was extremely cool to watch the transformation over the last few days - and now - its almost in spate! And if I now open the window or stand in my balcony - I can hear the roar of the river! And the woodland near the mouth of the river - (Vanhankaupunginlahti) constitutes a natural conservation zone. The area is largely marsh like and has large tracts of grassy marsh area - with patches of wooded land.

However, for purposes of walking amidst the reeds, the City of Helsinki has graciously constructed small wooden duckboards.
Apparently, there are at least 280 species of birds in the vicinity. (Though I spotted only about 5 or 6 including the obvious duck and swan.) Unlike other 'non-protected areas', visitors are not allowed to move or fish within the marshy foliage. Even the inimitable cycle or the dog is prohibited.

And did I mention that it literally is my backyard! :D All these photos are of locations not more than 5-8 mins by walk from my apartment.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Nice post... kinda took you to the place...